A custom column in tableview

Hello
in the communityedition it was easy to get an custom colum by Callback_Column

$crud->set_table('testcase');
$crud->field_type('testdaten', 'readonly');
$crud->columns('id','name','testdaten','json', 'angelegt');
$crud->callback_column('testdaten', array($this, 'testdaten'));

testdaten is not a column in testcase table the callback is collecting data from an other Table

in Enterprise this way

$crud->setTable('testcase');
$crud->setSubject('Testcase');
$crud->fieldType('testdaten', 'readonly');
$crud->callbackColumn('testdaten',function ($value, $row) {
				$html = "<p style='text-align: left;'>";
				return $html . "</p>";
});

produce a server 500 error

QLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column 'testcase.testdaten' in 'field list'",
            "args": [
                "SELECT `testcase`.`id` AS `id`, `testcase`.`name` AS `name`, `testcase`.`testdaten` AS `testdaten`, `testcase`.`json` AS `json`, `testcase`.`angelegt` AS `angelegt` FROM `testcase` LIMIT 10 OFFSET 0"

Any Idea to get custom column in enterprise?

best gregards
rené

PS
the old code is 1.x on ci3
the new 2.x enterprise on ci4

2 Likes

I think I get the same problem with you.

Let’s wait for some answers from others.

:grin: Funny enough, without knowing that you just asked this question about a custom extra column some hours ago, I wrote an email to John asking exactly this. Still waiting for response. But looking forward in solving this issue.

Hello all,

First of all welcome @obiwanke and @xyz to our forums :hugs:. Ok, there is actually a frustration and I can explain (and at the end also give a solution).

Grocery CRUD datagrid work primarily with complicated database queries. So any field should unfortunately be in the database or create a custom Model to manipulate that. However as I can understand that it is a bit of non-sense to create a custom Model only for that there is an undocumented (that I will document soon) work-around for that.

There is a function with name “mapColumn” in order to map a field with another one. Actually I will give an example to be more clear. Let’s say that we have a new field name “whatever”. As the “whatever” field doesn’t exist we need to map it with another field, let’s say “email”. This will look like this:

$crud->columns(['customer_name','test_choices', 'country', 'email', 'whatever']);
$crud->fieldTypeColumn('whatever', 'varchar');
$crud->mapColumn('whatever', 'email');
$crud->callbackColumn('whatever', function ($value) {
    // The $value here is the 'email' value
    return "<div style='background:red'>$value</div>";
});

Keep in mind that if you use a field only on column it is better to use fieldTypeColumn instead of fieldType as it is specified only for the initial datagrid.

Last but not least, I am keeping a note to create a new field type with name “fake” to solve this issue without a work-around in the future.

Let me know if that worked for you.

Regards
Johnny

Hello Johnny,

thanks for this work-around. It works as described.
It’s doing it by now, but the problem is, you always have to put all column names in the array of the $crud-columns call to get this extra “whatever” column. At the moment I had no $crud->columns method call, but with this work-araound I have to enumerate all the names of all the columns in the table.
Anyway, thanks
Regards
Obiwanke

Hello @obiwanke ,

I’ve kept a note so I can include the “fake” field type but I can’t promise any dates for that so till then you can use a helper function for Codeigniter 4. For example, you can use a helper that will look like this:

function getAllDatabaseColumns($tableName) {
            // Code for Codeigniter 4
            $db = db_connect();
            $query = $db->query('SHOW FIELDS FROM `' . $tableName . '`');
            $result = $query->getResult();
            $columnNames = [];

foreach ($result as $row) {
                $columnNames[] = $row->Field;
            }

return  $columnNames;
        };

And you can simply get all the columnNames by using:

getAllDatabaseColumns('yourTableName')

If you would also like to add the extra columns you can use the array_merge of PHP. So at the above example this will look like this:

$crud->columns(array_merge(getAllDatabaseColumns('customers'), ['whatever']));

Also keep in mind that I always recommend to use your common functions into one place. For example, if you would like to have an extra column with all the fields, you can always have a function like this:

function groceryCRUDAddExtraColumn($crud, $columnName) {
	$crud->fieldTypeColumn($columnName, 'varchar');
	$crud->mapColumn($columnName, 'id');
}

And use it like this:

$crud->setTable(....);
$this->groceryCRUDAddExtraColumn($crud, 'whatever');
$crud->...

I hope any of the above helped to get the basic idea that I am trying to explain :slight_smile:

Regards
Johnny

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation, @johnny.

After fieldTypeColumn, we still have to map it to other column then callback that column.

But I am triggered by one “fake” column at a table

Hi, how to search on this fake field?

This error message is an create a fake input, can u help me please.

Hello
is it fixed in a newer Enterprise Version?
regards René
with a new Acc because johnny kicked me out accidentally