Count Large table

I have a very large data table. How can I stop it from doing the total count?

pe Showing 1 to 25 of 63,087 records (filtering from 671,531,669 total records). This wastes a lot of time. Thanks.

Hello @Saturnino ,

The total count is in order to calculate the paging. If that takes a lot of time then you can hardcode the value with a custom model like this one:

<?php

use GroceryCrud\Core\Model;

class customModel extends Model {

public function getTotalItems()
    {
        // If there is a filter then we need to calculate the total items
        // so we can have a proper paging
        if (!empty($this->_filters) || !empty($this->_filters_or)) {
            return parent::getTotalItems();
        }

// Hardcoded or you can even use a caching layer at your system
        return 1000000;
    }
}

You can check how to add a custom model from the documentation here: setModel - Grocery CRUD - A PHP CRUD Generator Library

Please keep in mind that the query to get the number is the COUNT(*) which usually doesn’t take much time to take all the rows (e.g. SELECT COUNT(*) FROM customers). For example I’ve tried to do the query (mySQL) for 1 million rows and it took 92 microseconds (0.000092 seconds) so I guess the filtering is taking too much time. If this is the case then you can do something like this:

<?php

{
        if (!empty($this->_filters) || !empty($this->_filters_or)) {
            return 1000;
        }

return parent::getTotalItems();
    }
}

The above code will always return the filtering to have 1000 rows but in case it hasn’t the paging will just show empty pages.

Regards
Johnny

My postgresql table has 600 millions (at the future 2000 M) rows y the rdbms spends 67 seconds on the count(*). It doesn`t read the datum from db dictionary as mysql. Thank (gracias) for the solution.
BR (Saludos)

1 Like

It is No solution, I need avoid de count() from all table ( from 671,531,669 total records) no from filtered rows. The count() is from all table always , I have put a $crud->where([‘transitos.matricula like ?’=>‘8068%’]); and it shows the total from de table.

Hello @Saturnino ,

Then you can always just return a hardcoded value like this:

<?php

{
         return 1000;
    }
}

Example:

Displaying 1 to 50 of 67.614 items (filtered from 671.531.669 total entries)

I want to avoid the calculate of 671.531.669, it is the “select count(*) from table;” without conditions. When I define de getTotalItems only I change de 67.614, it isn`t the solution.

Hello @Saturnino ,

With the example that I gave above:

<?php

{
         return 1000;
    }
}

it will not calculate again the total items. If it doesn’t work for you then maybe clearing your website cache would help.