Is there accurate documentation of the community edition?

It appears that the fourth parameter where clause in setRelation has no effect in v2.x even though the docs seem to indicate it should work. I can type pretty much anything as a fourth parameter to setRelation and nothing happens. Maybe I’m missing something, but it seems to be unimplemented.

I’m getting the impression that there is no accurate v2.x documentation. Is this the case?
If so, I really do think you should be honest and make it clear on the website that the documentation online is for v3.x and that the community 2.x edition has no complete or correct documentation and many functions are only partially implements – with significant lossage compared to v1.x. Please remove the suggestions that the 2.x documentation is correct or complete and that v2.x is a real thing.

Of course, I could be wrong about this, but my experience with respect to the where() function makes me think the 2.x docs are not correct and that you abandoned 2.x before it was completely functional.

It seems that my hope to port a 1.x GroceryCrud application to v2.x will be doomed. So unfortunate. Do you think v3.x is in better shape?

It appears that the README documentation on github for the community edition is relatively accurate, such as it is. I see correct docs for the where() function given there. Perhaps you should redirect your 2.x documentation on the main website to point to the correct docs for the community 2.x edition.

I also see that the community edition hasn’t really been touched in a few years. I’m guessing it’s an early snapshot of the “Enterprise Edition”, not a true community edition.

Typical marketing ploy to release an incomplete version for free – and charge for the complete version – but I think it would be most correct to call 2.x an “evaluation” version, not recommended for new development. Calling it a “community” version implies there’s a community that supports it. There is NO community support, or ANY support that I can tell – the last significant commit was the initial commit by you, three years ago.

Is the where() function fully implemented in the Enterprise edition? That might be worth paying $99E for.

I certainly appreciate the work you put into GC. I understand
how you can feel “alone” in the work.

That said, have you considered using the GNU GPL3 or Alfero license
instead of the MIT license? It’s one thing to publish the code, quite
another to make it a true copyleft open source project that would attract
other developers.

If the code was GPL/Alfero licensed and I thereby knew that my
improvements would stay free, I would contribute to the project. I
would help you. Many people would, I think. You wouldn’t be alone developing
this tool.

So consider that your approach with the MIT license and a proprietary version
that feeds from it might be a contributing factor to the situation.

Hello @ctnadovich ,

Grocery CRUD was GPL licensed and I’ve changed it to doubled licensed after users request :grinning: (reference link: about license - grocery CRUD forum)

Grocery CRUD is released with dual licensing, using the GPL v3 (license-gpl3.txt) and the MIT license (license-mit.txt).

So it is already double-licensed in case you are interested . For more you can check the license here: https://github.com/scoumbourdis/grocery-crud-codeigniter-4/blob/master/license-grocery-crud.txt

Since this is the first time that someone is asking for the opposite license change (from MIT to GPL), I will also update the documentation so it will not confuse people.

Regards
Johnny

The problems with the way you have it licensed are the following.

No community development of the community edition is possible. The first thing a community would want to do with the community edition would be to fix the bugs in it and add the obvious extension that exist in the commercial edition so the two became the same. Would you support me making the community edition as good or better than the enterprise edition? Your licensing has put the two editions in competition and you have a conflict of interest with any improvements. You are not incetivized to help with the community edition. Because it’s MIT licensed you aren’t obligated to release your improvements. Basically the community edition is a second class, handicapped stepchild. Kind’ve a try before you buy crippleware, not a “community” open source edition at all.

Hello @ctnadovich ,

While I appreciate your participation in our friendly forum, if you find my project doesn’t align with your preferences anymore, it’s entirely optional to continue using it. Let’s aim to keep discussions constructive for those who do find value in it.

Now don’t get me wrong, I understand that some things may not be as perfect. Maybe the word “community” may change in the future to the “free” version. I am open to ideas if things make more sense. Maybe in the future I will update the README files for version 1 and 2 to have a more clear view of the future of those versions and the support that I am willing to have on those. But keep in mind that this project doesn’t have an entire team behind it. In the background there is only one single person. Me :slight_smile:

Regards
Johnny

What I’ve done, instead of not using GroceryCrud, is I’ve fixed it, improved it, and rewrote parts to extend it. If the code was exclusively GPL licensed, I would be obliged to publish my fixes, improvements, and extensions – pushing my commits to github, as you would be obliged with your improvements. But it’s MIT licensed. So I have no obligation, and, frankly, I don’t want you selling my work in the enterprise edition, as I’m sure you would find yourself doing. There’s no community. You are a community of one, I am a community of one.

I think it’s constructive for me to post bugs I find. But I’ll stop. You won’t hear from me any more.

All the best

C