Upgrading to CI4

I want to modernize my app.
I am currently running CI3 and GC 1.0.
I’d like to run CI4 and the latest version of GC Enterprise.

What are the steps i need to do? Do i first upgrade to CI4 and once is going, upgrade to enterprise?

Hello @richb201 ,

In short: Go directly to Grocery CRUD Enterprise.

I’ve created a wizard that I’ve published before 3 days that it can guide you step by step of how to install Grocery CRUD Enterprise (the page will be available only after a purchase to the User's Page Login page). Currently the version 3 is in BETA phase but it is already used on production systems without any issues so I can safely say that you can use this. Just to get an idea check the screenshot of how it looks:

Regards
Johnny

Hey Johnny. Nice to hear from you. It is slightly more complicated possibly. My laptop uses CI 3.1 and php 5.6. BUT I am doing the development and testing work DIRECTLY on my AWS server which I think is php 7.3 and the same ci as my laptop CI 3.1.
What is the minimum php version for Enterprise version 3? I plan to continue my environment the way it is. I think I load up Enterprise 3 on my laptop and then filezilla it up to my AWS server. Right?

We haven’t spoken since I was in Thessaloniki last year. Terrible about that train!

Rich

Hello @richb201 ,

As you said Grocery CRUD Enterprise is supporting PHP version 7.3 and later. Pretty much like what Codeigniter 4 is supporting. So what I am trying to say is that if the PHP version is supported by Codeigniter 4 then it is supported on Grocery CRUD Enterprise as well.

About the train incidence, it is very horrible :frowning: . I still can’t believe it. In my mind train was the most safe transportation :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Regards
Johnny

Thanks Johnny. I took that train but had no idea of the danger at the time.

Anyway, i am using ci3. I never had good luck with composer although i do have Vendor and thus have used it in the past. You mentioned that both Community and Enterprise can coexist. It took me so long to write this code, i just dont want to chance screwing it up. Do you have any instructs for having two versions not using Composer?

What are you doing these days? Are you doing some project management consulting? I have been blocked by my employer IRS from market testing my product so i keep playing with updating (aka breaking) my code, until i retire at the end of this year.

Rich

Hello @richb201 ,

I also have instructions of how to install without composer. Actually this is a good idea to have both in the project and use both for a slower migration.

What about just updating the PHP version (which Codeigniter 3 supports 7.3 anyway) and try Grocery CRUD Enterprise?

Regards
Johnny

I am actually running php 7.4 on my server and I am having enterprise installed on it, wo Composer. Thx

1 Like